Monday, April 16, 2012

Road Trip Plans!

It's only two days and counting until Adriana, Laura, and I hit the road and head to the National Council on Public History/Organization of American Historians 2012 Conference!  Things are a flurry of activity in the public history room of requirement as the semester comes to an end, and we all rush to finish papers and projects so as not to have them hanging over our heads during the conference.

We've already mapped out our drive, including meal breaks (breakfast at Cracker Barrel after we cross the border, lunch at the original Pizzeria UNO in downtown Chicago.)  We also hope to spend a couple hours walking around downtown Chicago - we even found a free app for walking tours.

We also have some plans for sightseeing in Milwaukee.  Adriana found a statue of the Fonz that we're going to check out.  Laura heard about a unique spy restaurant, for an evening when we feel like a night on the town. When we have some down time, I'd like to head over to the Historic Third Ward district and check out the Milwaukee Public Market.

I have a feeling that it is going to be a busy five days, as these are just the things we would like to do outside of the actual conference.  There is plenty in the conference program to keep us busy.  As I mentioned in my last post about our plans, I will be attending the speed networking session, new members breakfast, women in history luncheon, and serving as a volunteer at registration on the first day of the conference.  I've been looking over the sessions trying to decide what to attend, and there are so many choices!  There are times when it would be nice if I could be in three places at once!

I am looking forward to meeting new people (and seeing old friends - one of my fellow 2009 interns from the Baseball Hall of Fame is going to be there!)  I received notice of my mentoring match and will be meeting up with Mary Rizzo of the New Jersey Council for the Humanities on Thursday evening.  I'll also have a chance to mingle with fellow grad students on the Riverwest Bus Tour - which I'll be reviewing for The Public Historian.

Stay tuned for more road trip and conference updates! 


"Aaaaay, it'll be a great trip!"

No comments:

Post a Comment